Following are answers to the most frequently asked questions by people beginning the Agnihotra practice.
It is important to practice this technique correctly in order to receive all its wonderful benefits:
* The shape, size and measurements of the pyramid are specific for Homa Therapy.
* The Agnihotra Mantra needs to be chanted at the exact time to the second specified in the time table.
* People who perform Agnihotra or any other Homa need to remove their shoes (do not place your feet on top the shoes either). Also, people who just participate in a Homa Fire are asked to remove their shoes during this healing process. It is something similar to ‘grounding’ used in electricity.
* Whole grain brown rice mixed with ghee is used as an offering in this bioenergetic healing process. The amount of rice equals to whatever you can grab using the deer mudra (thumb, middle and ringfinger) twice.
* Only one person adds rice to one Agnihotra fire.
* The offering must always be given with the right hand.
* If you cannot do Agnihotra, you can lend your pyramid to another person who will do it.
* After chanting the Agnihotra Mantra, do not move, add, rekindle or disrupt in any other manner this healing process. The Fire will extinguish by itself. Wait until the ashes are cool.
* The ghee is made from unsalted cow’s butter. If prepared properly, it does not need to be refrigerated. The ghee can be stored in a glass jar, covered. When adding ghee to the fire, there should not be any sound.
* Cow dung is used for Agnihotra. Means only dung from bovine cattle (male or female) which are not fed supplements that contain derivatives of animal origin (examples: fish meal, bone meal, etc.).
* Agnihotra ash can be stored in a glass or ceramic container. Keep it covered. It is not advisable to store it in plastic or metal (except copper). The cap can be of metal or plastic, as it is not in contact with the ash.
* Manipulate Agnihotra ash with clean copper or wooden utensils. Do not use your hands.
* Always, clean the copper accessories with paper or cloth after use.
* Ideal is to use wooden matches to ignite the Homa fires. Prevent the burnt match from falling into the fire. Do not use lighters or a gas stove. If you have to use a candle, be careful that the wax does not fall into the pyramid or on top of the cow dung cookies. Extinguish the candle during Agnihotra.
* The Homa pyramid needs to be placed at a height above the sacrum.
* Only dry cow dung, whole unbroken grains of brown rice and pure cow’s ghee (clarified unsalted cow’s butter) are used for Agnihotra. NO OTHER SUBSTANCES MAY BE USED OR ADDED.
* The exact time table is essential for Agnihotra. You can make your own time table with the free online program at www.homatherapie.de/en/Agnihotra_Zeitenprogramm.html
You can also write with your exact address (country, city and sector) to email@example.com and ask for your Agnihotra time sheet. We will calculate it for you.
* You need to set your watch to the exact atomic time.
* It is correct to sit facing east for Agnihotra. But you can also sit facing west for sunset Agnihotra. You can also perform Agnihotra sitting in a circle.
* If possible, leave the pyramid untouched (and uncovered) till the preparation of the next Agnihotra.
* It is better if there are no metals near the Homa Fire, except copper.
* Do not use the pyramid for storage of accessories like spoon, dish, etc.
* The pyramid used for Agnihotra can also be used for other Homa Fires. However, do not mix the ashes. Only Agnihotra ash (done properly) is suitable for medicinal use. The other ashes are used as fertilizer in agriculture.
* Agnihotra ash is neither sold nor bought as well as the teachings of Homa Therapy. These are always given for free.
* If the Agnihotra fire goes off and makes a lot of smoke after singing the Mantra, it is better to take it out in the open and not to cover it. This ash is only used for plants.
* Women during menstruation cannot practice any of the Homa Therapy Fires nor touch the material or prepare the ingredients – this is due to energetic reasons.
14 Replies to “Tips for Practicing Agnihotra Correctly”
Can one use a copper spoon to make the rice offering in Agnihotra or does one have to use only one’s fingers?
No, you must use your fingers to make the offering in Agnihotra.
It’s is been said to consume a pinch of Agnihotra ash with water daily in empty stomach. Please suggest your opinion.
Yes, that is correct. But 3 times daily will be better. Empty stomach is not a must.
Can I use paddy instead of brown rice whole gain
No, husk of the rice grains should removed. But not more polishing.
If one is performing agnihotra for the first time, should we start with morning or evening session ?
Better to start with evening session.
Do you have to be seated on the ground to perform agnihotra or can it be seated at table and chairs?
Table and chair is also OK.
How can we clean the Agnihotra vessel, can it be washed with water and soap.
It is not necessary to clean the Agnihotra pyramid. In fact, better not to clean it as cleaning it may cause some damage to the subtle energy structure of the copper atoms. It is sufficient to remove the loose ash after each Agnihotra.
Thank you for this helpful article. What if all the cow dung did not burn in the fire? Is it still considered a successful burn with benefits?
And can we collect the ash from the burned dung to use as medicine? Thank you.
Even though not all of the dung burned, it is still considered a successful endeavor. You can collect the ash and use it as medicine, but it is recommended to sieve the ash.